Quick Tip: Use ERP to Attack Downtime
Whether it’s a bottleneck on your production lines, delays between transferal of products or the time lost processing returns and fixing defects, downtime haunts the nightmares of every production manager. Making a list of all the different ways your company could be leaking time and cash can seem daunting, and some of the problems will inevitably cost even more to fix. It’s hard to know where to begin.
Here’s the good news: You don’t have to be shooting in the dark when it comes to attacking costly downtime on your shop floor. Your Epicor ERP system can help your business determine which types of downtime are hurting your business the most—and which ones you need to attack first.
Epicor Targets Downtime
To understand the financial impact of every category of your company’s processes, you’ll need to be able to grasp all of the material and labor cost components. This kind of in-depth analysis needs to be backed up by real-time data. This is where Epicor ERP system comes in. Using a top-of-the-line manufacturing execution system (MES), Epicor can track and document all of the processes on your shop floor consistently and accurately. That data will then be stored within your ERP as a single source of truth which all key decision makers in your company will have access to. With Epicor’s manufacturing tools connected to any shop floor machine, your business can:
- Analyze scrap and downtime on every part of the production line
- Automate and tighten up quality management with statistical quality control (SQC) and statistical process control (SPC) to minimize errors and returns
- Monitor energy consumption by machine, job, shift and product
- Use scheduling and planning tools to optimize production schedules, respond faster to changes in customer requirements and support Kanban flow
- Leverage IoT technology to gain real-time performance metrics for all your equipment and receive instant notifications of issues to allow you to schedule preventative maintenance
All this information will allow your business to develop a prioritized cost-of-downtime list and devise a plan to optimize efficiency. Instead of taking an inordinate amount of time to create a daunting record of all your areas of waste, you’ll be able to quickly see which areas are costing your business the most. This gives you the exact knowledge to determine which issues you need to target first to improve profit margins and productivity.
Are you a manufacturer looking to use ERP to reduce waste on your shop floor? Get in touch with Datix today! Our expert consultants come from the manufacturing world, so we understand both the software and the unique needs of your business. On top of that, we’re an Epicor Gold Partner, making us a leading ERP consulting firm. We’ll leverage our knowledge to provide optimal solutions and services to reduce downtime and streamline processes on your shop floor.